Saturday, February 5, 2011

Celebrating the end of term papers

This past semester I took a course on monsters in literature and film, and for my term paper I wrote about how the duality of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde influenced comic book characters and their alter-egos.  Writing 5,000 words (15 pages) on anything is enough to make you a little crazy, and in this state I decided that when I was finished with the essay Michael and I should have a celebratory party at our house and require all our friends to dress up as superheroes / evil villains. 

Michael graciously planned the majority of the event, as I was staying up almost every night to write my final papers in every class.  When January 28th came and our Fall semester came to a close, we found ourselves with about half of the Trinity pop lit post graduates (12 total) in our living room, kitchen, and anywhere we could find space.  Costumes included characters like Rogue, Poison Ivy, Laura Croft, Buffy, mild-mannered alternate egos, and newly invented characters (like the sinister "Dr. Black").  Austin Powers even made an appearance.  Most commonly though, our friends showed up as ambiguous characters wearing tights and a cape.

Because my parents bought Michael a TV for Christmas, we decided to watch Space Jam and The Emperor's New Groove.  Our couch and 5 chairs were crammed, and every pillow and blanket in the house was brought down to substitute for a chair (our floors are hardwood - lovely but uncomfortable for watching movies).  The party was wonderful, and we had a great time.  It's so much fun to be a part of a masters program where almost every student celebrates turning in their papers by dressing up as a superhero and watching children's films from the 90s.

No comments:

Post a Comment